Monday, April 29, 2013

Chocolate Milkshake

Okay, it is seventy degrees out and time to crank out some delicious summer food and beverages, finally! I was trying to figure out with my sister what to have for dinner, and I remembered of a concoction that Claire Hawkins had told me she made. Thus, we decided to have this chocolate milkshake and Sweet Potato Fries. This was definitely a good way to kick off the warm weekend. (As the weather gets warmer, I tend to get busier because a lot of my time goes to exercising my horse for races. Thus, posts will not be coming as often because my kitchen time will be limited. Sad but true.)


Like I said, this inspiration came from my good friend. We had skyped the night before for somewhere around two and a half hours. It was well over due, and I am sure we both could have talked for another two and a half. However, we decided that we both needed to sleep. About one and a half hours into our conversation we realized that probably about seven-eighths of our conversation was about food. Yes, that is the absolute truth, and that is one reason why I love her! We both can understand each other's love for food and that we get judged for this love. (maybe an obsession...) Anyway, Claire and I have spent many days in the kitchen experimenting with random foods. Every time we are in the kitchen together we learn a lesson. Some include, do not mistake bay leaves for basil, do not try to juggle eggs, if a recipe says parchment paper do NOT use wax paper, and read the directions carefully. That is just a select few; there are many many more!!


In the midst of our conversation, Claire had told me about a drink/smoothie that she had made that was delicious. She told me all that was in it but she did not know her measurements. Since last Friday was so nice, I was in the mood for a chocolate malt. However, regular malts are out of the question for me, so I decided to try to figure out what how much of each ingredient to use from what Claire said she put in hers.

I have made this about three different ways. The one I included is my favorite version. The first time I made it, I did not use Maca powder, and I did not use a frozen avocado. I highly recommend doing both. The Maca powder gives the milkshake a malt taste and a nutritional boost, and the frozen avocado creates a more malt like texture. (It also helps make it colder). The other way I made this milkshake was for my sister. She is not much of an avocado person, so I substituted about 1/4-1/3 cup honey Greek yogurt for it. She said it was phenomenal. However, it was slightly runnier than mine. (So maybe freezing the yogurt might help). I personally do not think there is an apparent avocado taste, but she said that she could still taste it a little. I highly recommend adding in other flavors that you like with chocolate. Maybe peanut butter, mint, carmel, or any other preference. You could also load it with spinach, chia seeds, flax seed, hemp hearts, or sesame seeds to boost the nutritional value. It is all up to you for what you prefer! Hope you enjoy this as the weather warms up here in the good state of Minnesota!


Chocolate Milkshake
Inspired by Claire Hawkins

Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk
1/4-1/2 frozen avocado
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. Maca powder
1 frozen banana
2 Tbsp. heaping, ocoa powder
1-2 Tbsp. honey

Directions:
1. Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender.
2. Blend until combine throughly and smooth.
3. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment