Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chocolate Oatmeal . . .That's Right I Said Chocolate

Everyone gets their craving for chocolate whether it be in the morning, afternoon, or night. This time an intense chocolate craving hit me at night. As I was looking through some recipes, I remembered seeing one for chocolate oatmeal. I could not remember if it was healthy or not, so I went a searchin' for it.


Sure enough I found it, and a bonus it was healthy! I followed the recipe for the most part. I just decreased the salt, increased the vanilla, and added maple syrup for a sweetener. It definitely fulfilled my chocolate craving! So delicious, especially topped with fresh fruit. I personally love kiwi with chocolate, so that is what I chose. However, any fruit other fruit would be scrumptious, for sure these: strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, maybe even a pear if your feeling adventurous. It could also be yummy to add some peanut butter if you are a chocolate and peanut butter type of person.



Not gonna lie, this oatmeal tastes like chocolate pudding. However, I am not sure if that is because I have not had real chocolate pudding in awhile. It has a thick creamy texture and obviously oats dispersed throughout. I would definitely let the oatmeal cool slightly, so your tongue does not get scorched. But eat it as it is warm because the warmth adds a lot to it. So try it for yourself! I hope it fulfills your hankering for chocolate.


Chocolate Oatmeal
Recipe adapted from Gluten-Free-Vegan-Girl
Makes 1 serving

Ingredients:
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup coconut milk (or any other milk will work: dairy, almond, hemp, rice)
2 Tbsp. 100% pure maple syrup

Directions:
1. In a medium-small sauce pan combine all the dry ingredients. Mix well. 
2. Add in the wet ingredients.
3. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling reduce temperature, but continue to boil
4. Once the oatmeal has reached a noticeably thick consistency remove from heat.
5. Add in maple syrup or sweetener of choice.
6. Top with your favorite fresh fruit or other topping of choice. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment