Sunday, April 21, 2013

Greek Yogurt Drop Biscuits

I don't know about you, but my favorite thing from KFC when I was a child were their biscuits! They were fluffy, warm, soft, and oh, so delicious with homemade strawberry jam. Yumm... However, I am pretty sure they were packed with butter, and ingredients that I can no longer eat. Thus, I decided to make my own biscuits that I could enjoy. 


I was inspired to make these after I made the Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Biscuits a couple of weeks ago. I thought to myself, if those biscuits tasted so good, I bet I could make some darn good plain ones. What do you know? I was able to go slightly off that recipe for measurements, so I could get the same consistency for these beauties. With adding and changing up ingredients, this is what I came up with. They are darn good too!



These biscuits are moist, healthy, and delicious. They really could fool anyone. I mean I am going to be honest they are not as light, fluffy, and buttery as KFC's biscuits, but they are a scrumptious healthy substitute! One that you won't regret eating and will feel lovely after eating it. They taste great plain or with apple butter, honey, strawberry jam, or any other thing you prefer to put on biscuits. I was hoping to have a classic childhood dish my mom used to make, chicken and biscuits, but it did not turn out to my liking. So I will have to attempt that again and share that recipe if it turns out. Hopefully you enjoy these delicious biscuits! My family sure did.


Greek Yogurt Drop Biscuits 
Yields 12 biscuits 

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats)
2/3 cup ground flax seed
1 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup almond meal
2 Tbsp. psyllium seed husk
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup almond milk + about 3 Tbsp. (or any other milk)
1/3 cup coconut oil (at room temperature. If you like more moist biscuits add 2-3 Tbsp. more)
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 450F degrees.
2. Add all the dry ingredients to a blender and pulse until combine.
3. Add in the coconut oil and pulse until combine until it reaches a sandy texture.
4. Pour the flour and coconut oil mixture into a bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients.
5. Use a pastry blender or a spoon to mix the ingredients together completely.
6. Drop the biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Shape into circles with your hands.
7. Bake for 18-22minutes.
8. Best when eaten warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment