Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Biscuits

These biscuits were part of my baking night the other day. Yes, I agree they look kind of interesting and maybe even a little too weird for you to try. However, it is worth taking a bite of one because after that there will be no turing back! They are just scrumptious.


My whole family loved these. Yes, even my dad! Lauren wins again. I must have been really tired when I was eating dinner, or I just subconsciously deciding I wanted two full biscuits. After I ate one, I decided I wanted just a half of another one. So I sliced it in half, and before I knew it, both halves had honey on them. I am not going to say I was utterly disappointed of my mistake because I ate the other half enjoying every moment of it!



I made these biscuits with pumpkin puree because my dad is not a fan of sweet potatoes. However, I am sure that they would be extraordinary with the sweet potato puree. They are good eaten plain, butter, topped with honey, or even topped with apple butter. I am sure you could come up with many other delicious combinations also. I hope you enjoy them!


Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Biscuits 
Recipe from Season to Season Eating

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats)
1 2/3 cup corn meal
1/3 cup almond meal
3 Tbsp. arrowroot or corn starch (psyllium seed husk would work too if you are feeling adventurous)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 cup cooked sweet potato puree or pumpkin puree
2/3 cup almond milk + about 3 Tbsp. (or any other milk)
1/3 cup coconut oil (at room temperature. If you like more moist biscuits add 2-3 Tbsp. more)
1 tsp cinnamon
dried or fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary)

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 450F degrees.
2. Add all the dry ingredients to a blender and pulse until combine.
3. Add in the coconut oil and pulse until combine until it reaches a sandy texture.
4. Pour the flour and coconut oil mixture into a bowl and add the rest of the wet ingredients.
5. Use a pastry blender or a spoon to mix the ingredients together completely.
6. Drop the biscuits on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Shape into circles with your hands. I made 12 biscuits from one batch.
7. Bake for 22-25 minutes.
8. Best when eaten warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment