Sunday, May 26, 2013

Raw Fudgy Brownies

Happy Memorial Day everyone! This weekend has been dedicated to getting our garden ready. So exciting. I love being able to eat the produce that I have grown. It is so much more rewarding, and it seriously tastes so much better! Not only was it planting seeds and plants in the garden, but I also made a garden box for my herbs. Of course, I could not have done it without the help of my dad. He is the greatest most talented woodworking man I know. From a pergola, desks, jewelry boxes, frames, tables, a TV stand, a bunny hutch, a light post, a mail box, to now a herb box garden. I probably missed some other random projects he has done. Every time I say I want to make something, he knows it is not going to be easy because I never want to make it how he does. So I always challenge his thinking, but my ideas have yet to fail. I guess I am stubborn in that area. I will post pictures once I get it all finished! 


Anyway now on to the featured recipe today. Everyone loves a good brownie every now and then. I mean seriously, who could not like a dessert that is chocolatey, fudgy, and just overall delicious!! Getting the perfect brownie consistency was always a struggle for me. It was either too cakey or just not good. Low and behold this raw brownie recipe is fudgy and delicious. You betcha these brownies are healthy. What a surprise because they could fool anyone!! 



This recipe is from My New Roots and remains on of her most popular recipes! So that just tells you it is a winner right there. Even if I could eat normal brownies, I do not think I would want to after eating these babies. They are seriously SO good especially if you warm them up just a tad before eating them. I mean my whole family loved them...yes, even my dad. The next day he even asked me if I was going to make any other healthy desserts! I think I may be converting him to my weird eating habits! Finally.


These are truly a must try. Definitely make sure that your brownies are sticky enough. I think I was too impatient and did not put enough dates in them, so my batch was slightly crumbly. But that did not make them taste bad by ANY means. Also, I would advise you to use Medjool dates and not substitute them for any other kind. The brownies will still be good if you do, but the Medjool dates have a carmel flavor that is absolutely amazing in these brownies. If you want to read more about the health benefits of these brownies, visit My New Roots.


Raw Brownies 
Recipe from My New Roots

Ingredients:
2 cups whole walnuts
2 1/2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
1 cup raw cacao
1 cup raw unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Directions:
1. Place walnuts in food processor and blend on high until the nuts are finely ground.
2. Add the cacao and salt. Pulse to combine.
3. Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it is running. What you should end up with is a mix that appears rather like cake crumbs, but that when pressed, will easily stick together (if the mixture does not hold together well, add more dates).
4. In a large bowl (or the pan you plan on putting the brownies in), combine the walnut-cacao mix with the chopped almonds. Press into a lined cake pan or mold. Place in freezer or fridge until ready to serve (it is also easier to cut these when they are very cold). Store in an airtight container.

*My batch fit perfectly in a 8x8 square pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment