Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mango Cashew Sunshine Bites

It was raining earlier today, and now it is snowing. It's April...so slightly depressing. This just happened to be the perfect treat to brighten up the day. I took one bite, and it brought me back to the warm summer days. That lasted until I looked outside again, sadly. But for a moment I escaped to paradise. 


I was not quite sure what mango and lime would taste like together, but sure is delicious. I should never have questioned a recipe that Sarah Britton created. She has yet to fail me. If you need a good, healthy, and nutritious recipe, check out her website. All her ingredients are added for a reason and all contribute to the nutrition.



I have to say it was killer to wait as the cashews were soaking. So definitely find something to occupy your time while they soak. As for the ingredients, make sure the cashews that you use are raw and not roasted. Dried mangos are usually sulfured and sugared, so try to veer away from those and purchase the organic unsulfured mango pieces. Coconut also usually comes sweetened, which means added sugar. Organic unsweetened coconut can usually be found in any grocery store if they have a health food section. Otherwise, make a trip to my favorite place: the health food store!


These bite size tropical treats were a hit in my house. They have healthy wholesome ingredients, which makes them taste even better. The texture is very creamy...so good! Hope you enjoy these summer treats (even winter treats if you need a little summer joy).


Mango Cashew Sunshine Bites 
Recipe from My New Roots
Makes approximately 20-24 

Ingredients:
2/3 cup / 100g raw cashews
1 cup/ 100g dried mango pieces (purchase organic, unsweetened, unsulfured)
1/2 cup/ 50g unsweetened desiccated coconut, plus more for garnish
1-2 tsp. Creamed honey, for sweetness if desired
seeds of 1 vanilla bean (I used 1 tsp. vanilla)
lime zest (from 1 lime)
pinch sea salt
pinch ground turmeric (optional...I did not include this)

Directions:
1. Soak cashews for four hours. Drain and rinse.
2. Soak mango for 20-30 minutes until slightly softened, but not mushy.
3. In a food processor combine all ingredients except honey. Pulse to combine until a sticky dough is formed. Taste for sweetness and add honey if desired.
4. Spoon out about a 1/2 tablespoon amount of dough at a time and roll into a ball with your hands. Roll in coconut to coat. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment