Saturday, May 11, 2013

Absolutely Amazing Grilled Pizza

Pizza is practically a staple food in the United States, and also, in other countries around the world. I used to be such a fan of pizza when I was a child. Not going to lie, I probably could have eaten it everyday if not twice a day. Sad! However, lately I have not had a desire to even look at a pizza. Until I saw this one that is.


It has been really nice out and grilling is just the perfect thing to do in this weather. Like I said earlier, pizza has not be my thing lately. I don't know if it is the large amount of grease that collects on the top of pizzas, or just that I have eaten way to many of them as a child. I guess it actually is probably because there is absolute no nutritional value to normal pizzas. So of course I made one that is!



This recipe is from Sarah Britton. She uses whole grain flour to create a delectable crust. I used spelt flour like she did, but you could also use whole wheat, brown rice, barely, quinoa, amaranth, or kamut. There are many options to choose from to get yourself a healthy nutritious pizza crust. Let me tell you, this crust was so easy to make!


After eating this pizza, I found myself disappointed that I have never tried it before. It was delicious! Not only the fact that it was a healthy good pizza, but also the fact that it was grilled! I highly recommend grilling your pizza. It could be quite possibly the best tasting pizza. Toppings are up to you! I personally am a vegetable fanatic, so rightfully so, I loaded mine with all the vegetables I could find at my house. I hope that you enjoy this wonderful take on pizza as much as my family and I did! 


4-Ingredient Spelt Pizza Dough 
Recipe from My New Roots

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups spelt flour + extra for dusting
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tbsp dry active yeast (not instant)
3 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
1. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Dissolve the yeast in 3/4 cup lukewarm water, add flour and stir in with the oil.
3. Continue stirring until you have a uniform texture, then start kneading by hand in the bowl, or on a large, clean surface. Knead for about 5 minutes.
4. Cover ball of dough with flour and place underneath a damp towel for 1-2 hours until the volume is approximately double.
5. Divide dough for 4 small pizzas, 2 large, or 1 "party size"

*You can add things to the dough once it has risen, such as sea salt (this is recommended), herbs, garlic, spices - use your imagination. Toppings are whatever you feel you would like to have.

Cooking methods:
Oven- preheat to 350F. Grease a large pizza pan, cookie sheet, or baking stone with oil and roll the dough with a rolling pin or simply press with your palms and fingers. Dip your hands in water or olive oil if the dough is sticking. Top with sauce, pesto, veggies, and cheese. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Grilling- grease the grill with olive oil and place dressed pizza directly on top. Close the barbecue lid, but check the pizza often. It does not take long at all to cook, maybe a little over 5 minutes over direct heat.
Fire pit- follow grill instructions, but toast the dough on one side first, remove from heat and then add toppings to the toasted side (this way, the dough will cook evenly). Make sure that there are no flames when cooking, just super hot, glowing embers. Keep a close eye on the pizza dough when toasting - it can burn fast!

4- Ingredient Tomato Sauce 
Recipe from My New Roots

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 28oz. can crushed organic tomatoes
3-4 cloves garlic
Zest of 1 organic, un-waxed lemon

Directions:
1. Heat oil and garlic in a cold saucepan over medium heat, white stirring.
2. Sautéed just until fragrant- do not brown the garlic and do not let the oil smoke!
3. Add the can of tomatoes and heat until it reaches a gentle simmer.
4. Zest 1 lemon into the pot and stir.
5. Add salt if desired, and maybe some cayenne pepper or chili flakes if you like it spicy!

*Any other spices that you like in tomato sauce are also a go. Be creative! Sarah also recommends this sauce to be put on pasta or to freeze it for future suppers if you have some leftover.

No comments:

Post a Comment