Saturday, May 18, 2013

Spicy Roasted Broccoli with Almonds

It is thunder storming right now, the first one of the summer. For some reason they bring joy to me. Whether it is because there is so much power shown in one and it makes me feel small or because it makes me want to cuddle up and read a good book. I have never thought too much about it until I was talking with my very good friend last night. It is something that I find interesting. Anyway, on to my Spicy Roasted Broccoli with Almonds recipe.


I am a huge fan of broccoli and finding a new good way to eat it is always a bonus. This dish has some kick to it, but you can adjust the amount of peppers/spice to fit your preference. Personally, I am always up for some nice hot and spicy food! It is crazy how much I have changed from when I was a child. Not only did I hate spicy foods but also practically everything I love now. That is why I have hope for all those out there who are stuck in their routine ways of buying pre-packaged food or fast foods. Someday they will realize how wonderful it is to taste their own homemade meals that are nutritious for their bodies just like I have.


Trust me, it is crazy the impact the type of food you eat has on your body and how you feel. Not only by sick feeling, but also the energy you have. Of course, there are more benefits, but I am not educated enough to preach that at you. Hopefully one day I will be able to add nutritional benefits to all my recipes. I highly recommend taking a chance at changing your diet to a more whole foods based diet. Give it a try, but I will warn you, you may never want to turn back. I sure will not. It is probably one of the best decisions I have made.


Spicy Roasted Broccoli with Almonds 
Recipe from My New Roots
serves 2

Ingredients:
1 large head broccoli (preferably organic)
1/4 cup whole raw almonds

Dressing:
6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 Tbsp. minced ginger, fresh
1 tsp. fresh, hot chili, sliced (more or less to taste/ I used a little over 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. tamari

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Wash broccoli well, then remove the very end of the stem. Slice the entire head of broccoli and the remaining stem in half down the center lengthwise, then cut each half in half again. Repeat until you have relatively small slices of broccoli tops with long stems. Place in a large bowl.
2. Prepare dressing and pour over broccoli. Using your hands, massage the dressing into the broccoli making sure it is well coated. Place broccoli on a baking sheet and set in the oven.
3. On a separate baking sheet, place almonds and set in the oven below the broccoli.
4. Roast broccoli and almonds for 15-20 minutes (the almonds will probably need less time), until the broccoli is just turning golden brown on the edges.
5. Remove everything from oven. Roughly chop almonds on a cutting board. Plate broccoli, season to taste. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment