Monday, June 3, 2013

Chocolate Donuts the Perfect Sunday Breakfast

Fist of all, I do not understand why you can spell it doughnuts or donuts. There definitely should just be one name for these delicious treats. I am going to refer to them as donuts. I made these yesterday morning before we all headed off to church. I mean yes, there are donuts before and after services, but they are not healthy like these babies! Your probably thinking right now how can a healthy donut be good? Well, I am not sure why, but trust me they are scrumptious! 


These donuts are seriously delicious. My whole family loves them. Yes, even my dad!! They are nice and crisp on the outside but soft and cakey on the inside. So good! This is my second time around making them, and they were very easy to make. I mean I whipped the out before the 9 o'clock service with time to get ready and eat! So there are no excuse about time being a problem with these.



This time I topped my donuts with coconut, chopped pecans, and goji berries. Of course, anything goes here. I am personally a huge fan of goji berries, so that donut was my favorite! You could also switch up the glaze if you want. Maybe just a maple syrup glaze, peanut butter, peanut butter/chocolate, or a coconut butter glaze with honey and vanilla. The options are endless! The one thing that can't change in this recipe is the flour. It is mandatory that you use coconut flour because of it's properties in baking. Any other flour will make these donuts really dense and not the same overall. Hope you enjoy these! They are definitely worth a try! You actually might not turn back to your sugar filled donuts.


Chocolate Donuts
Recipe adapted from Detoxinista

Ingredients:

Donuts:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cocao powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. sea salt
4 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
3 eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract

Glaze:
1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate or more if you want more glaze (I used six squares from 88% Endangered Species Chocolate Bar)
1/2 tsp. coconut oil
1/2-1 tsp. maple syrup

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a donut pan with coconut oil.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. Combine all the wet ingredients in a small bowl and then pour into the dry ingredients.
4. Whisk until a uniform batter is formed.
5. Pour batter evenly into 6 donuts.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the donuts have risen and are firm to touch.
7. While the donuts are baking, prepare the glaze by melting all the ingredients together. Let sit until the donuts are slightly cool.
7. Remove from pan and cool slightly. Then pour/frost with the glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment