Monday, May 6, 2013

Paleo Sandwich Bread

Every now and then everybody wants a good sandwich. Well, my problem is that I can't eat normal bread, and I did not want a heavy seed/nut bread for my sandwich the other day. Don't get me wrong I LOVE this loaf of bread, but I wanted something lighter. Something that has the texture like good old wheat bread. This is what I found after searching around for a recipe.
This bread is delicious, and non-the-less super easy to make. It is kind of short though, which is sad. However, it makes some darn good sandwiches! It tastes like normal bread too!! Healthy, gluten free, and Paleo. Sounds like a perfect loaf of bread to me. If you are interested in more information about the Paleo diet, take a look here or here.


This bread can be used for anything. From just plain sandwiches to toast to even french toast! Yes, I made french toast out of it, and it was phenomenal. I made it for my sister and I, and she loved it too. The slight coconut flavor came out giving it a nice sweet flavor. Quite good, and it did not leave me weighed down at all. Again, this bread is great toasted also! I highly recommend this bread if you are looking for a light health alternative to normal bread.

Paleo Sandwich Bread
Recipe from Guilty Kitchen

Ingredients:
3/4 cup soaked almond butter (or other nut)*
6 eggs
2 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup golden flax, ground
1/4 cup almond (or other nut) flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a smallish loaf pan about 4x8 with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix the first four ingredients with a handheld mixer.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and blend again. 
4. Pour into the lined loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. 
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing it from the pan. 
6. Remove the bread from pan and let cool completely before storing in an airtight container. 

This bread will remain good for 3-4 days if stored at room temperature, 7-10 days if stored in the fridge, or a month or so if stored in the freezer.

*To make soaked almond butter, fill a bowl with the amount of raw almonds you want to make into almond butter, cover with cold water to 2" above the almonds. Leave for 24 hours. Dry in an oven at the lowest setting until dry (at 170F this takes about two hours). Then you can blend into almond butter. Or you can roast the nuts first and just blend them into a butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment