Monday, December 23, 2013

Vanilla Almond Fig Biscotti

With Christmas around the corner, my house is usually filled with baked goods that have been made by my mom, sister, and I. When I was younger, we would make at least ten different kinds of cookies, if not more. My mom had made both my sister and I cute little Christmas aprons that we would always wear. Some of the best holiday memories were made in our kitchen during the holidays. For some reason, we have been known to make some of the best cookies. From my mom's legendary chocolate chip cookies to suited-for-santa cookies to chocolate carmel cookies. However, this year has been a little different as baking together went.


My sister no longer lives at home, so she has not been around to bake all the Christmas cookies, and as for me, I am a little hung up. I just got surgery on my foot this past Wednesday. It has been a long four days let me tell you. I am used to being active, moving around, and not sitting/sleeping all day. Well it just so happens that is the case for me right now. After a long two days, I begged my mom to help me bake some delicious Christmas cookies that were healthy. (All the cookies that she and my sister have made...aren't the healthiest but are good!) I love love love figs, so I began brainstorming. After awhile of debating on what type of cookie I could throw figs in, I came to the consensus that fig biscotti would be fabulous!


I found this basic biscotti recipe to get the approximate measurements and went on with my creativity. Let me tell you...it was a pretty pathetic sight in the kitchen. I was sitting on a stool with my foot resting on another stool as my mom ran around the kitchen getting the ingredients that I would need. She's a trooper! I am truly thankful for her!

Now to the actual cookies. Biscotti is a one of a kind cookie usually eating with tea or coffee. It is a very crisp and dense cookie. There are so many different flavor combinations that can be made for biscotti. I chose my favorites: almond, vanilla, and figs. Let me tell you, they smell delicious when they are baking and taste just as amazing. This recipe could truly be made with any fruit or flavoring. Change it up to meet your favorites! Enjoy!!


Vanilla Almond Fig Biscotti 
Adapted from My Happy Dessert

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup whole spelt flour
2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 Tbsp. stevia
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped dried figs

Directions:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, flaxseed meal, sugar, stevia, and baking powder in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combine.
4. Pour the bowl of dry ingredients into the large bowl and stir together the two mixtures.
5. Once the dough is throughly combine, add almonds and the chopped figs.
6. Split the dough into two logs and place them on the pan. Flatten to a thickness of one inch. They can be made as mini biscotti or regular size. It's up to your preference.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until firm.
8. Upon removal from the oven, let the loafs cool for 10 minutes and turn the oven down to 325.
9. Then slice the biscotti to desired thickness, usually around 1/2 inch.
10. Place back in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until desired crispness is reached.
11. Allow to cool completely before serving.

Nothing is better when it's snowing and cold outside than a large mug of hot cocoa, friends, and cookies! Eat up!!
~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment