Sunday, August 24, 2014

Another Birthday Calls for Another Cake

On this birthday of mine, my family and I were in the lovely state of Montana on a family vacation. That state has stolen my heart, and one day I hope to call it my home. If you have not been there, you must take a trip there. The beauty cannot be imagined or explained. Anyhow, as bitter sweet as it was, we flew home on my birthday, but I was able to make this cake! 



I am grateful that I was able to make this cake because boy it was delicious and the best way to end a birthday and vacation. This cake was so easy to make that I was able to make it and eat it within two hours. It is such a flavor filled cake. The lemon and blueberry complement each other impeccably.

You may question the "glaze" as not tasting good since it is made out of plain greek yogurt. Well let me tell you, I was skeptical, but now, I am a believer! The cake would taste absolutely wonderful with out it too, if you are dairy free. However, if possible, I would add it because it is amazing. To me, it kind of resembles a cream cheese frosting.

As you can tell, all the pictures have pieces of cake missing...yes, that would mean that I did not even take the time to take pictures before we all snatched a piece for ourselves. It smelt so good, we could not wait any longer. Just try to refrain from indulging in it! It is harder than you think!





Blueberry, Lemon, Poppy Seed and Almond Cake
Recipe Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories
Serves 8-10

Ingredients:

4 cups almond flour
3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
1 large or 2 small organic lemons
3 large eggs
2 cups blueberries (save half for topping)

Glaze:
1 cup plain full-fat greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. maple syrup (or honey)
1 tsp. vanilla
Remaining lemon juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
2. Combine almond flour, poppy seeds, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Heat oil and maple syrup in a sauce pan on low heat until combine. Grate the zest of the lemons and add it to the maple syrup/oil mixture. Divide the lemons in half and add the juice of three lemons halves (or 3/4 of 1 lemon if using one large lemon) to the mixture. Save the rest for the glaze.
4. Add the maple syrup/oil mixture to the bowl with dry ingredients.
5. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl until light and fluffy. Then fold into the dry ingredient bowl.
6. Grease a 8-inch spring form cake pan and add the batter to it.
7. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden on the outside and baked all the way through (may add foil for the last 15 minutes if starting to get dark brown). Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the edges of the pan.
8. Meanwhile start making the glaze. Combine the yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Leave in the fridge to chill.
9. When the cake has cooled completely, cover it with the glaze and and top with the remaining blueberries. May also serve with the glazing and blueberries on the side.

Hope you enjoy! Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment