Friday, March 29, 2013

Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)

One of my friends introduced me to the delicious chocolate hazelnut spread, Nutella, when I was a sophomore in high school. Her obsession with it quickly rubbed off on me! Before I knew it I was eating it practically everyday. However, store bought Nutella has 21g of sugar in just 2 tablespoons, and sugar is the first ingredient listed on the Nutrition Label. Once I could no longer eat sugar, Nutella was out of my food selection, sadly. 


It was not until I saw some recipes online that got me interested in trying to make my own healthy chocolate hazelnut spread. I had looked over many recipes, but I never found one that I loved. So, I decided that it was time to experiment. How exciting!! I got my food processor out and started to throw ingredients in. 

Let me tell you, it is an absolutely amazing feeling when you create a delicious healthy food. I mean I did not invent a new hit chocolate spread or anything, but I did not follow anyone's recipe. My sister thought when I got so excited about my Nutella as I threw different ingredients in and tasted it as I went.

My whole family loves this recipe. Yes, even my dad! This Nutella has a slightly darker chocolate taste. I think it tastes much better than store bought Nutella because it does not taste as sugary. However, that also could be because I have not eaten real sugar in over a year. So get some graham crackers, strawberries, or roasted almonds (my favorite) out and eat away!!






Nutella
Yields 1 cup

Ingredients:
1 cup hazelnuts
¼ cup honey
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 Tbls. Coconut sugar
2 Tbls. Almond milk
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbls. Vanilla
1 Tbls. Coconut oil, melted

Directions:
Roast hazelnuts at 375° F for 8-10 minutes or until fragrant. Let cool slightly. Skin the nuts. (or buy roasted, skinned hazelnuts). Put the hazelnuts and melted coconut oil in a food processor and blend until a smooth, butter consistency forms. Then add the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator. 

It tastes best after a night or longer in the refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment